Of Christian Liberty and Liberty of Conscience.
Chapter 21, Paragraph 1.
“The Liberty which Christ hath purchased for Believers under the Gospel, consists in their freedom from the guilt of Sin, the condemning wrath of God, the Rigour and Curse of the Law; and in their being delivered from this present evil World, Bondage to Satan, and Dominion of Sin;…”
Freedom! Christ has bought freedom for His people. Through His life, death , and resurrection, Christ has secured liberties for believers, bestowed upon them when they are regenerated. “If the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.” (John 8:36) What are the liberties that believers enjoy?
Because of Christ, believers have:
- freedom from the guilt of sin. No longer do we have to stand condemned because of our status as corrupted humans. Christ has paid the penalty for our sin.
- freedom from the condemning wrath of God. The suffering Christ endured on the cross will never be felt by us. Ever.
- freedom from the rigour of the Law. Because Christ perfectly fulfilled the Law on our behalf, we do not have to live up to the law for salvation.
- freedom from the curse of the Law. “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, ‘Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree'” (Galatians 3:13) Death is not a curse for the believer, for Christ has removed its sting.
- deliverance from this present world. However much it beckons us to join, Christ has set us free from its imprisonment.
- deliverance from bondage to Satan. As the hymn states, “The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him…” Christ has freed us from Satan’s tyranny. We are His subjects now, never again to be ruled by the devil.
- deliverance from the dominion of sin. Christ has set us free; we are no longer slaves to sin. “…through the continual supply of strength from the sanctifying Spirit of Christ, the regenerate part doth overcome…” (LBCF 14.3) Because of Christ, we no longer need to succumb to sin.
And this is not all!
The liberty we have because of Christ is immense and vast. Praise Him for all He has done!
Questions to Consider
- Christian, are you living in light of the freed Christ has bestowed upon you?